Foster Care Program
CVHS IS IN DESPERATE NEED OF FOSTER PARENTS!
Foster care volunteers provide temporary care for kittens, puppies, cats and dogs in their homes. Some animals only need a home for two weeks, others may need three months. By offering your time, energy, and home to an animal in need, you prepare the animal for adoption into a permanent, loving home. CVHS is always looking for foster homes, especially throughout the busy spring and summer seasons. The more foster homes we have, the more lives we will be able to save.
Three of the most common reasons for animals to be selected for foster care are:
1. Kittens and puppies that are too young to be at the shelter.
2. Cats or dogs that are nursing their litters of kittens or puppies and need to raise them in a home environment where they can all receive proper socialization.
3. Cats or dogs that are being treated for an illness such as upper respiratory infection or kennel cough, or have had surgery, and require daily medications and extra TLC.
How foster care works:
1. CVHS receives an animal that is not yet ready to be put up for adoption. The shelter frequently receives very young animals that are not ready for adoption needing immediate foster care.
2. Pre-qualified foster homes are contacted. If you are called to foster an animal and cannot do it for any reason, we will find another foster home and call you the next time. It's always okay to say you are not available.
3. The animal goes to the foster home until ready for adoption. You may need to bring the animal back to the shelter to be checked periodically by CVHS medical staff or to receive any necessary vaccines or treatments.
4. The animal is returned to CVHS for adoption. Animals coming out of foster care are spayed/neutered, unless already done so, and then placed up for adoption right away.
CVHS provides food, veterinary care and medicine for foster animals and lots of support to foster care volunteers. Foster care volunteers provide time, shelter, and lots of love.
To become a foster care volunteer, please fill out and return a Foster Care Application or contact the shelter at (603) 749-5322 ex. 105 to request an application by mail.